The Cromer Constant Head Permeameter is a simple, robust and easy-to-use instrument for quickly measuring permeability of materials in the field. Setting up to do a permeability test is straightforward and can be readily done singlehandedly.
The instrument has application to designing and sizing of domestic wastewater systems, to hydrology studies including dam walls and construction materials, and to environmental monitoring (eg of tailing dams and ponds associated with mining operations).
View a video demonstrating how to set up and use the Permeameter
The instrument and accessories are packaged in a heavy-duty carrying case measuring 50cm x 41cm x 20cm, weighing about 5.5kg.
The package includes:
- a 3.8L permeameter reservoir and removable base
- four delivery tubes totalling 0.7m in length
- a stainless steel valve for controlling water release
- two lengths of machine-slotted PVC screen (totalling 0.65m) for preventing collapse of the test hole
- various rubber stoppers
- thread tape and threaded fittings
- a comprehensive instruction manual
- a digital storage device containing the instruction manual, a PowerPoint presentation, an Excel spreadsheet for calculating permeability from your field results, and field record sheets.
Permeability testing can be done in all diggable materials including soil, construction materials and rock, to depths of up to a metre or more. The test is done in a circular hole, usually excavated with a hand- or mechanical-auger. An auger is not supplied with the instrument.
The Cromer permeameter measures permeabilities in the range <0.005m/day to about 10m/day. A test measurement may take less than a few minutes, to a few hours, depending on soil type.
View a Preview of the Cromer Permeameter (PDF document 233kB), or contact Bill for pricing and more information.
Bill will soon release a permeability calculator (for Excel).